Halfway House Video
The Sandy Neck research cottage commonly called the Halfway House (due to its
location halfway down the Marsh trail) was built prior to 1872, and is listed on
the National Registry of Historical Places. Gifted to the town in the 1960’s,
the cottage has been used primarily by Barnstable High School student groups
under the guidance of Dr. Peter Auger. However, due to his retirement from BHS
and the deterioration of the cottage, the usage of the building has decreased to
only a few times a year.
Recently, thanks to the efforts of volunteers, the cottage has undergone some
much needed renovations including new windows, interior and exterior siding,
retaining wall and stairs, as well as a new roof and shingles.
We hope that increased numbers of high school groups and undergraduates/
graduates in biology, writing, and art will take advantage of the cottages
location for their studies. Organizations interested in utilizing the cottage,
or people interested in donating funds for repairs, should contact the Sandy
Neck Park Manager.