Off Road Vehicles (ORV):
How do I get an ORV permit?
ORV permits can be purchased by dropping off a completed application package in the drop box located at the bottom of the handicap ramp at the Gatehouse. Application packages must include a copy of the vehicle registration, a completed ORV permit application, and a check for the appropriate amount. If you have a leased vehicle (with a term of one year or more) you must also include a copy of the first page of your lease. Please check the web site for Gatehouse hours.
A completed application package can also be mailed to our main office at:
Marine and Environmental Affairs
1189 Phinney’s Lane
Centerville, MA 02632
Note: The Gatehouse accepts cash, credit cards or checks. Checks are to be made out to the Town of Barnstable.
How much does an ORV permit cost? 2021
ORV permits costs: Barnstable Residents $95, Non-Residents $190. Permits are valid until April 15th of the following year.
What (equipment) do I need to drive on the beach?
There are six items of equipment required in order to purchase an ORV Permit.
- An approved spare tire; check with the gatehouse to see if your tire will qualify if it is non-conforming. NO run flat tires are acceptable at this time.
- Tow device: minimum of 15 feet. Rope ¾” in diameter, OR strap, 6,800 lb capacity, 1 ½” wide, OR chain, 5/16” link, OR cable, 3/8” diameter, OR suitable vehicle mounted winch.
- Jack: Standard type jack or hydraulic bottle jack.
- Support board: for purpose of setting the jack on should you have a flat tire. 18”x 18” ¾” plywood or ¼” thick steel.
- Shovel: heavy duty, equal to military folding type or better.
- Tire gauge: low pressure type, must register 10 psi or lower.
I have all my equipment now what?
Every year, prior to issuance of an ORV permit, Gatehouse staff will inspect your six items of required equipment. This equipment is for your safety! We will also ask to see your valid vehicle registration and driver’s license. You will then fill out the appropriate paperwork before you receive an ORV permit. A tide chart and a current copy of the Sandy Neck Beach Park Regulations are provided when you purchase your permit.
Barnstable residents will be required to show proof of residency. The only acceptable proof of residency are one of the following:
- Vehicle registration with Barnstable street address (PO Box is not sufficient).
- Deed or HUD statement with your name on it showing ownership of property in Barnstable.
- Tax bill showing Barnstable address.
- A lease of Barnstable property for the term of no less than one year.
Can I just take a drive on the beach to check it out?
No, an ORV permit is required to drive on the beach year round.
Do you sell a one-day pass to drive on the beach?
No, we only have yearly ORV permits. We also sell an off-season permit for the fall and winter months that priced at a reduced rate. These “seasonal permits” are not available until day after Labor Day at a reduced price of $50 for Barnstable Resident, $100 for Non-Resident. Day after Columbus Day $30 for Barnstable Resident and $60 for Non-Resident. * All permits expire on April 15th.
Does my ORV permit allow me to park in the parking lot?
No, you will need a Barnstable or Sandwich beach parking permit (sticker) during the season (Memorial Day through Labor Day). If you do not have either, you may purchase a daily parking pass at the Gatehouse.
Do I have to be a Barnstable resident to get an ORV permit?
No, we sell non-resident permits that are available for those who do not own property and/or live year-round in the town of Barnstable.
I have a permit, but I am getting a new vehicle, can I wait to put my permit on until I get my new truck?
No, in order to be valid, and prior to going out on the beach, the ORV permit has to be permanently affixed to the inside lower left corner of the windshield. For a fee, the Gatehouse will sell you a new permit should you need a replacement. Please bring in the old permit, even if it is in pieces.
Off Road Vehicle (ORV) Campers:
I just bought a new camper. How do I get a permit?
In addition to the six (6) items of required equipment, self-contained vehicles must carry the following:
- 30’ measuring device. Examples are: piece of rope 30’long, measuring tape 30’long.
- Your vehicle must have permanently fixed separate gray and black tanks.
- An operational carbon monoxide detector.
- Any 2 wheel drive camper that is new to you, is required to have a 2 wheel drive test, even if it has been previously been on the beach. 2 wheel drive tests can be scheduled by calling the Gatehouse for an appointment. Tests are given Monday through Thursday, excluding holidays. Two wheel drive tests are $25 (A onetime fee for as long as you own the camper).
Note: The 30’ measuring device can be a piece of rope or string or a measuring tape or anything measuring 30’. This measuring device is used to make sure campers leave a 30’ right of way for entering and exiting the beach.
How long can I stay on the beach?
All self-contained vehicles, with appropriate permits, are allowed to stay on the beach for up to 96 hours. In season, there will be a charge per night for this opportunity: Barnstable Residents $10 per night, Non-Residents $20 per night. Campers must come off the beach for 24 hours before coming back to stay overnight on the beach.
I have friends staying with me at my Camper; can they sleep on the beach in a tent?
Everyone who spends the night on the front beach must sleep in the camper, no exceptions. Only camper and chase vehicles are allowed on the beach after curfew.
What is a chase vehicle and how much does the permit cost?
All chase vehicles are required to purchase an ORV permit at the regular price. In addition, chase vehicles must have their own six items of required equipment. Once permitted, the chase vehicle may be assigned to a camper. The chase vehicle will receive a circle permit at no extra charge that shows that the chase belongs with that camper. Only one chase vehicle is allowed per camper and that vehicle is allowed to stay overnight on the beach with the camper. A separate charge of $5 per night fee is required in order for the chase vehicle stay out on the beach overnight. In addition, no one is allowed to sleep in the chase vehicle.
Off Road Vehicle & Parking Lot Fishing Access:
I want to fish with the tides but it is past curfew, how does that work?
Fishermen who want to take advantage of the great fishing at Sandy Neck may “fish with the tides” providing that each person has proper fishing equipment: Fishing rod, bait and tackle and must be actively fishing. Fishermen will be asked to show these items to the Gatehouse Attendant and or the Natural Resource Officer on duty.
Off Road Vehicle Access Hours:
I have a permit so I can go on and off the beach anytime right?
In season, April 1st through October 31st, Off Road Vehicle hours are: 8am to 11pm. You must be past the gatehouse by 9pm to stay out until curfew. All vehicles must exit the park by 11pm.
Off season, November 1st through March 31st, Off Road Vehicle hours are: 8am to 4pm. All vehicles must exit the park by 4pm.
Note: If beach conditions are unsafe, the staff will close the beach to Off Road Vehicles and the beach access road will be blocked off. You may wish to consult the website or call the Gatehouse prior to coming to the beach if you are unsure of the conditions. The Off Road Vehicle beach access may be closed due to a variety of reasons, including, but not limited to, high tides, storm conditions, shorebird nesting protection, or other stranded wildlife on beach.
I read that Sandy Neck is a dog friendly beach. Can I bring my dog to Sandy Neck Beach?
We LOVE dogs, and if you follow the Town of Barnstable and Sandy Neck dog regulations, you and your pet will have a wonderful experience at Sandy Neck.
- All dogs must be leashed year-round.
- Dogs are NOT allowed on Bodfish Beach (including the beach parking lots), from May 15th through September 15th. Bodfish Beach is the section of public bathing beach located in front of the Sandy Neck parking lots that is designated by “Lifeguard On Duty” signs. * There are exceptions, please call the Gatehouse at 508-362-8300.
- Dogs are allowed on the Off Road Vehicle (ORV) Beach on a leash year-round. Vehicles with ORV permits are the only ones authorized to drive past the Gatehouse with a dog in the vehicle from May 15th to September 15th. *See exception.
- Dogs are allowed on the Great Marsh Hiking Trail on a leash year-round. The entrance to the Great Marsh Hiking Trail is located at the Gatehouse. Parking for people with dogs is available but not guaranteed at the Gatehouse
when space is available.
- Dogs can be walked down the Great Marsh Hiking Trail from the Gatehouse and can access the Off Road Vehicle Beach via Trail 1 (approx. 1 mile hike).
- Dogs can be walked down the Access Trail from the Gatehouse to get to the Off Road Vehicle Beach (approx. ½ mile hike).
Please note: When accessing the Off Road Vehicle Beach, either by way of the Great Marsh Hiking Trail or the Off Road Vehicle Access road; you and your pet will be walking through deep sand and or pavement and in the summer months it may be too hot for you or your pet. Both you and your pet will need plenty of water! Hot sand or pavement will scorch the pads of a dog’s paws and in some cases they may suffer from heat exhaustion! Please see the Gatehouse Supervisor for recommendations regarding temperatures and conditions.
Fat Tire Bikes:
Fat tire bikes are allowed on the front beach to the closure line. No fat tire bikes allowed past the closure line. Note, during the summer months the distance to the closure line will change due to nesting shorebirds.
No E-Bikes are allowed on Sandy Neck.
Fat tire bikes are allowed on the Great Marsh Trail. They cannot access the Cottage Colony, or go off the path.
I just want to see the beach, why can’t I just drive up and take a look and turn around?
Bodfish, (the Sandy Neck Public Beach) has limited parking and unfortunately it would not be possible to let folks just do a “drive-by” during business hours. There is a charge each day for beach parking from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day from 8am to 5pm. There is no charge after 5pm.
NOTE: Sometimes during peak days in the summer the parking lot gets full early. We may have to ask you to turn around and leave the park once the lot is full. This is a safety issue and we need to keep Sandy Neck Road clear in case of an emergency. Whether you are a visitor to the beach or a resident of Barnstable or Sandwich and have a beach parking permit, we will ask you to turn around at the Gatehouse and leave the park. We suggest you either visit another beach, or try coming back later on. We allow only five vehicles to queue up for upcoming available spots. Sandy Neck Policies state that five (5) vehicles must exit the Bodfish parking lot prior to allowing five (5) up. We apologize for any inconvenience.
There are parking spaces at the Gatehouse. Why can’t I just park there and walk up?
The parking at the Gatehouse is reserved for people hiking the Great Marsh Trail and employees. No one is allowed to park at the Gatehouse and walk up to the Bodfish Beach parking lot.
If I do not want to stay at Sandy Neck, can I get my money back?
While we wish to accommodate refund requests, it clearly states on the daily parking pass that there are no refunds. That being said, if Sandy Neck is not quite to your liking, we will be happy to give you directions to another Barnstable Beach. The daily beach parking pass you purchase is good for all the public beaches in Barnstable for that date. Please see the list of beaches on the reverse side of the parking pass.
Public Beach access:
How late can I stay at the beach?
- In season, (April 1st through October 31st ) the hours are 8am to 11pm. You must be through the Gatehouse by 9pm to stay on the beach until curfew. All vehicles must exit the park by 11pm.
- Off season, (November 1st through March 31st ) the parking lot closes at 9pm.
The Sandy Neck Lighthouse:
How do I get to the Sandy Neck Lighthouse from here?
The Sandy Neck Lighthouse is privately owned and is located at the tip of Sandy Neck, approximately a 6.5 mile one way hike through deep sand. There are no public lighthouse tours and no paved roads to drive to see it up close. To view the lighthouse it is suggested that you go to Barnstable Harbor, Millway Beach. Please remember that Millway is a Barnstable Resident only beach so you may have to go early in the morning or late in the afternoon to get a view of the lighthouse.
Tent camping information:
We are asked all the time about our tent camping. It is a primitive campground with 5 sites and it is more than 3.3 mile hike through deep sand out to the sites. Tent campers must carry all their camping equipment out on foot. No one can access the campground by vehicle on the front beach. We also have a lean-to for camping, 2.2 miles on Great Marsh Trail. Please contact Gatehouse for details.
How can I have a campfire on the beach?
- People who have ORV permits have permission to have a campfire on the ORV beach after 7pm or sunset, whichever comes first.
- People without ORV permits can purchase a daily campfire permit from the Gatehouse. The daily campfire permit will provide you with the rules and regulations as well as the allowed location for your campfire. The permits go on sale at 5pm daily and the number of campfires may be limited.
- No campfires are allowed anywhere on the beach in the off season, November 1st through March 31st.
I see the closed sign on the Gatehouse; does that mean I can’t go out on the beach?
The Gatehouse is closed in the winter and reopens in April. The staff is in and out of the Gatehouse during these months, doing projects and getting ready for the upcoming season. As long as you are entering the park at the appropriate Off Road Vehicle hours, and you have a current Off Road Vehicle permit, you may go out on the beach.
Note: If beach conditions are unsafe, the staff will close the beach to Off Road Vehicles and the beach access road will be blocked off. You may wish to consult the website or call the Gatehouse prior to coming to the beach if you are unsure of the conditions.
I want to purchase an Off Road Vehicle permit but the Gatehouse is closed, what do I do?
You can still purchase a current year sticker, even when we are not keeping regular hours at the Gatehouse. Call the Gatehouse 508-362-8300 to make an appointment. If no one is there, please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
I want to purchase official Sandy Neck Merchandise, but the Gatehouse is closed what do I do?
You can still purchase official Sandy Neck merchandise by calling the Gatehouse 508-362-8300 to set up an appointment. If you are driving to the beach and see someone in the Gatehouse, feel free to stop and knock on the door. We will be more than happy to accommodate you!
If you do not see the answer to your question here, please call the